As you can see from the photos below, i started by draping the silk directly onto the form.
Then I added side panels. I really wanted the side panels to get fuller below the waist area to give the gown a little swing at the bottom. The dress should be a column shape wise, but needed some movement. My solution was to smock the side panels; so they were smocked from the neckline to the dropped waistline. This proved an effective way to get the fullness and movement in the skirt that i wanted.
After the basic dress was created,I added straps, then draped the lace over one side of the body. Getting that drape right, proved a little tricky, and the back of the drape kept getting moved.
The bottom curve of the lace drape was shaped by cutting out the motif for about 1 1/2 fee on each scalloped side then, curving and shaping each side to the center. The pattern then had to be stitched in place, for an overall look that the fabric started that way in the first place.
After the dress was all sewn together, the inside seams were finished by binding the edges in silk. I love to construct these dresses as they seem to evolve as you go. Its really quite fun to figure it all out.