Early Sewing Experience a MUST!
I've been sewing now for more than 40 years (yikes!) Starting at age seven and sewing ever since. All that practice informed the way I understand how clothing gets made. Spending years reading patterns, prepared me for design school and I was much more SEWING-ABLE than many of my peers. Here are 5 reasons why it's crucial to get this skill cultivated early:
1. Your Brain won't have to work so hard figuring out the "How it gets made" part and you'll find that DESIGNING COMES MORE NATURALLY.
2. You'll be FASTER at sewing. There is a LOT of homework in Fashion School and you are going to do a LOT of sewing. The faster and better you are at it, the quicker you'll be able to get to your other homework.
3. You'll be able to UNDERSTAND Pattern Making Better. It's really hard to understand pattern making if you have limited sewing experience. Once you've been sewing for a while, you will recognize the shapes and have a better understanding of the #D nature behind pattern making.
4. Having Beautifully Sewn Clothing will make you more CONFIDENT. Presentation is everything. Your instructors and peers will better receive your designs if they are executed exquisitely.
5. You'll be able to make BETTER DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR DESIGNS. Once you understand the rules of Garment Construction, you'll know If, When & How to break them.
Until next Time, Get your Fash-ON!